In addition to his performing career, Jack has taught at workshops, festivals, and camps around the country including the Festival of American Fiddle Tunes, Wintergrass, The Mandolin Symposium, Portland Old-Time Gathering, Dare To Be Square, Olympia Old-Time Festival, Bellingham Folk Festival, The Alaska City Folk Arts Camp, Bluegrass Camps for Kids, and others, and has over twelve years of professional teaching experience, including seven years on the music faculty at Lewis and Clark College in Portland, OR. He has also authored two instructional books for mandolin.
Private Lesson Offerings
Jack offers private instruction in the following areas:
• Mandolin – bluegrass, old-time, country, swing, blues, modern jazz, bossa nova, choro, music theory for mandolin (scales, chords, and rhythm exercises), ergonomics and picking technique.
• Guitar – bluegrass, old-time, country, swing, blues, modern jazz, bossa nova, choro. music theory for guitar (scales, chords, and rhythm exercises), ergonomics and picking technique.
• Banjo – melodic style, Scruggs (3-finger), and clawhammer techniques.
• Fiddle – bluegrass, old-time, cajun. scales, double stops, chords and accompaniment.
• Bass – beginning bass
• Music Theory – available on any of the instruments listed here, or as a stand alone pencil and paper class.
• Songwriting – writing exercises, strategies, theory, and editing/workshopping of your original material.
• Singing – tips for singing in an efficient and relaxed way, music theory to help you harmonize with others, and exercises designed to improve your pitch, tone, and rhythm.
• Dance – two step, waltz, leading and following, moving rhythmically, beginner swing dance.