offers in-person private instruction
(and Skype lessons) in the following
• Mandolin - bluegrass, old-time,
country, swing, blues, modern jazz, bossa nova, choro.
music theory for mandolin (scales, chords, and rhythm
exercises), ergonomics and picking technique.
• Guitar - bluegrass, old-time, country,
swing, blues, modern jazz, bossa nova, choro. music
theory for guitar (scales, chords, and rhythm exercises),
ergonomics and picking technique.
- melodic style, Scruggs (3-finger), and clawhammer
• Fiddle - bluegrass, old-time,
cajun. scales, double stops, chords and accompaniment.
• Bass - beginning bass
• Music Theory - available
on any of the instruments listed here, or as a stand
alone pencil and paper class.
• Songwriting - writing
exercises, strategies, theory, and editing/workshopping
of your original material.
• Singing -
tips for singing in an efficient and relaxed way, music
theory to help you harmonize with others, and exercises
designed to improve your pitch, tone, and rhythm.
Music Faculty at Lewis and Clark College since 2010.
Mandolin, Bluegrass Guitar, Fiddle, and Banjo.
• B.A. in Creative Writing from University of
• Studied jazz guitar for two years with Mike
DeMicco (Brubeck Brothers)
• Studied banjo and music theory
for a year and a half with melodic
banjo pioneer Bill Keith.
• Studied flatpicking guitar
and mandolin for one year with Frank
• A professional since his early teens, Jack
had played about 1,000 shows even before he moved
out of the house at 18. He has toured around the country,
including multiple trips up and down the West Coast,
to Alaska, The Northeast, The Midwest, and The South.
• Jack plays mandolin in the Scott Law Bluegrass
Dimension, featuring Scott Law, Sam Grisman, Luke
Price, and occasional member Sam Howard.
• Collaborated with Portland
mandolinist Tim Connell to record
Mando Planet (2013), an album of international
folk-inspired instrumentals arranged
for two mandolins.
• Jack has been fortunate enough to perform
onstage with many great musicians including:
Bill Keith, Peter Rowan, Jay Ungar & Molly
Mason, The Mammals, Mike and Ruthy, Scott Law,
Tony Furtado, Jesse Cobb, Don Stiernberg, Mike
Marshall and others.